Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Well there you have it. The iPhone has lost its edge.

Today, T-Mobile, Google, and HTC officially announced the HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1, a beautiful little device that does everything the iPhone does, but cheaper, and in some cases, much better.

After watching endless videos about it, I can see that a phone like this will be a big competitor in the comming months. Available in white and black, the G1 is run on a revolutionar little operating system called Android, an open source project by Google that'll assure safety, friendliness, and extendability. The phone is made by the High Tech Computer Corporation (HTC), who, for the last year and a half or so has been making touch screen phones for the masses. Lately, their products have been exceeding the iPhone more and more, with the release of the Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, and the Touch HD [all of which, by the way, have greater resolution than a the standard non-HD television, double that of the iPhone].

Getting back on subject (bear with me, I drift away from the subject a lot when mindlessly typing away), the new G1 will be available through T-Mobile for $179 [if you're already a customer] with a contract extension, or for $399 by itself [T-Mobile 3G plans go from $25-35]. One advantage it has over the iPhone is the fact that it has a full, physical QWERTY keyboard. The one problem I have with the G1 is that there's no 3.5mm earphone jack

Personally, the phone and everything will be perfect for me. I'm a T-Mobile customer, I love open source things, I probably have $200 in my pocket right now, and I happen to live in one of the cities you must live within 5 miles from to buy one (Orlando, Florida FTW!)

So stick it to Apple and get an HTC G1!

[by the way, not too keen on the Samsung Instinct; too cheap-looking]

No comments:

Post a Comment