Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm getting a Mac!

Well, not exactly, but hey, the title sparked your interest, didn't it? Thought so. Anywho's:

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself hating Apple products as I usually do. Hating on Macs, hating on iPods, and hating on two of my friends who have iPhone 3Gs. Every now and then I find myself thinking, wow, I'm probably just jealous that Apple users got money . However, these thoughts vanquish the moment I hear some pompous Apple fanboy saying "You're just hatin' because you can't afford a Mac! Just go away to your sad little PC, ya' looser!" It's people like that that get under my skin, almost causing me to slap 'em in the face. Luckily, I'm a civil person, and I just state the fact that you can get a computer just as decent as a Mac for half the price. But who am I to say this? And what does this say about the operating system itself? In all reality, the only Mac I've ever owned was a screwy PowerPC-based refurb.

So I thought, hey, if I install OS X onto my PC somehow, I'd be able to see how it is to own a Mac, without the fancy $600 aluminum case. If performance is good, I'd prove that PCs are much more cost-efficient, and after using it for a month or so, I'd also be able to determine how good OS X really is. I'll be killing two birds with one stone... sorta.

After a few days [when Apple announced their new MacBooks], I got the initiative to sought for a way to get Leopard on my fairly low-end AMD machine. I found hacked-up operating systems aplenty, and I had no idea what to do. So then I thought there's only one easy solution; just search where you're going to download it from anyway!, so I ventured to everybody's favorite downloading site, the infamous Pie-rating Bay and searched "OS X Leopard" and found iATKOS, and I was happy. Then I did some research, and found that there's an infinite number of OSx86 systems to download. Here's a short list of what I've found:

iATKOS
iDeneb
iPC
Kalyway
Leo4Allv5
JaS
pc_EFI

...the list will go on and on. So I settled on iDeneb. Not sure of the reason, but I did. So far, I'm two days into the download and I've only been able to get through 40% of the full ISO. Slowly but surely, the 4.4 gig file will finish after going through a constant of 15kb/s download.

In the meantime, I've been able to split my hard drive into two partitions, with the Leopard partition [drive X:/] having 20GB of playing room.

Updates on my future Hackintosh coming soon!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment