Tuesday, November 30, 1999

Software spotlight: Massive libraries? No money? No problem!

iTunes? It's cool.

Windows Media Player? It's alright.

VLC? It pwns.

Yet, I'm not talking about any of those. I'm talking about Songbird, the Mozilla-based libarary manager and web browser. About half a year ago, while browsing Yahoo! Answers, I came across a question about WiMP alternatives, and one of the answers pointed to the Songbird homepage. "IDK WTH this is @," I thought to myself, and continued looking around the website. Suddenly, I'm struck with something great. A 30x100 pixel button that says "Powered by Mozilla". Awestruck, I download and install Songbird, a 2-minute process for me. I open the program to find a UI that's much like iTunes, but in a dark green deviantART-like style. So I start checking out the menus and going through the "First-time startup" dialog to find that it lets you import your libraries from iTunes and several types of playlists (.m3u being most prominent, of course). So I start adding some songs via drag-n-drop in Explorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment